Friday, October 9, 2009

A video to help us learn

I thought this video was appropriate relating to our conversation from Monday night concerning communicating. The link is a you tube video of 5 commercials for Ameriquest.



We discussed how various factors may impede the ORJI cycle, but in this example we see how witnessing an external event can be judged without knowing all the details.

This video helped me to understand that we do sometimes jump the shark and without really knowing the whole story, jump to conclusions. Our discussion Monday gave me much to reflect upon when dealing with my own home life. When I hear my son cry in the next room, I automatically assume my daughter has done something to make him cry. After Monday, I learned not to judge so quickly or react too dramatically. Tuesday evening, the both of them got into it in the next room. I went in to find my son crying. Instead of reacting or judging to quickly, I decided to try a little active inquiry. What I discovered is my son hit my daughter first. When she retaliated he learned by my reaction that if he cries she gets in trouble. In this particular case I was able to observe and obtain a better description of the situation; react appropriately to the whole story; evaluate and make a correct judgement; and finally intervene and make a better decision.

Flawless Consulting isn't just for the work place senarios. We can apply it to everything we do. Parenting sometimes feel like a process consulting job in that everyday one is a parent, more of the proverbal onion gets peeled back. It's a big onion, yes and sometimes it will make you cry. Thanks for reading!

1 comment:

  1. I love your break down of the ORJI cycle. I can totally relate to the kid senario as my little ones often use it against me as well. I find myself on the homefront judging too quickly, however at work I am just the opposite. If only I could slow down at home to reflect as I do at work. At least now I have a textbook defined cycle to follow when witnessing external events in my home.

    ReplyDelete